Friday 13 January 2017

I. After admit..what next?

Hello,

In many colleges like UB the basic requirement is to showcase the financial documents for checking our financial capability before provisioning the i20.

So, what Next? WE try reading Quora, asking past students or just searching google about financial proofs.

With my initial research, though I got negative reviews about credila I still thought to give a try for credila loans. Actually I was tempted because it gave loans up to 35 lakh without collateral.

In mid of November, I filled out an online enquiry form of credila and in few minutes I got calls from 2-3 credila agents. He enquired about few details and sent me the mail regarding the list of necessary documents and asked me the convenient time to meet. I was so happy that I would be saved from going to credila office instead they were coming home at my desired time. I was feeling privileged!

The list of documents that were mentioned in the mail thread were:

<document>
Applicant: Student documents
         
1) ID proof: Passport, Pan card
2) 10,12  & Graduation all mark-sheet with certificate(Gre,Toefl score card)
3) Admission Proof –College Offer Letter (Not mandatory)
You could submit GRE/TOEFL instead
4) if having work experience-offer letter,3 months salary slips,6 month bank statement,form-16
                     
Co Borrower: If Salaried (Father or Mother or Brother or Sister or Relatives)
1) ID Proof – Adhar-card/voter-id/passport copy
2) Address Proof-Electricity bill
3) Sign Proof-pan card
4) 3 month salary slip (latest)
5) 2 year Form 16
6) 8 month bank statement(with IFSC,MICR code)
7) 1 photo

Guarantor: As a applicant mother

1) ID Proof- Adhara-card/voter-id/passport copy
2) Address Proof- Electricity bill
3) 1 photo
</document>

Smoothly I submitted all the documents and he told that the loan decision would be made in 1-2 weeks.
I was eagerly waiting for anytime of the communication from credila. In between Co borrower and guarantor received verification calls.
They asked few basic questions to my sponsor and identification question to other contact persons. At last on one of the Sunday after two weeks I got the mail that my loan of 30lakh was approved. I waited for any contact from the HDFC for further procedure. But to my dismay I didn't got any call. So after weeks of waiting, I contacted them..
The same soft and polite tone of the HDFC agent was changed to a rude one. He replied that I need to visit HDFC credila office in deccan (Pune). I enquired about all the documents that were needed for verification he told me one of the guy's name whom I need to contact for the remaining process.
Few weeks later, on Saturday I visited deccan office of credila, I could see huge rush of students in their office every officials were so busy looked like the scene in some government banks. We waited for our turn, finally after a half hour some guy attended but looked like he was in hurry. After telling about confirmation of loan, first question he asked about did you brought 10000? We were like what the hell! Then he started explaining that processing fees are 1% of the loan amount you take. But for loan sanction letter you would need to pay least amount 10000. When I inquired about the interest he was like first you pay 10k then we would discuss. Still I asked him the amount that time he told that it would be around 11-12. He was not willing to share the exact interest rate. Though I was feeling that I should give 10k and happily take loan sanction home, my father suggested to at least enquire at other banks.

In deccan itself there is one SBI office which only deals with the home and education loans. I had enquired earlier in our nearby SBI branches where I came to know that only one office is there in PUNE which deals with educational loans for masters.

The office was small but cozy, having two cubicles specifically to handle educational loan enquiries. In SBI you could imagine the rush, but I was amazed to see their speed of handling the work. By the time the education loan in charge was attending other customers, the lady at the SBI counter provided me with the document list which I would need while taking education loan. My turn came in fifteen minutes the woman in charge patiently explained me all the necessary documents and also suggested few alternatives for the documents which i didn't had. In writing she gave the processing fees and its distribution with interest rate, SBI policy which is mandatory, etc. Within an hour of enquiry she cleared all our doubts and concerns. Never did I imagined a bank like SBI would be so clear and detailed about their process and there interest rate. For SBI, the interest rate was 9.50 with 80% of i20 sanctioned as loan.

I told her regarding my concern about showing financial documents for issuing i20 to which she agreed that it might not be possible to approve your loan before i20 because they need the exact details about tuition fees and living fees. So she suggested me to have a solvency certificate (after confirming through the seniors). Though it was not a part of her job she volunteered to give me the SBI valuator number and documents I would need for the same. I was so overwhelmed with help provided by the government folks.
Government ROCKs!
On our way back to home we decided to take the loan of SBI. But not sure about the financial documents required for verification in i20.

Now I had two options:
1.To pay 10k and get loan sanction letter 
2.To check for solvency letter.


 I decided to go for 2nd option. Because anyways I had HDFC loan sanctioned and would take just one day for official letter.


HDFC credila vs SBI (nationalized banks) educational loans



HDFC:

1. Max loan granted without collateral is 35 lakhs
2. With collateral can extend to any amount
3. Interest rates:
Collateral: around 11% Without collateral: around 12 % 
4. Processing fees: 1% loan sanctioned (for 30lakhs - 30k)



Who should prefer HDFC credila?

- Who don't want property to mortgage
- Who are able to pay the loan in short time and wouldn't be affected by higher interest rate

SBI:
1. Max loan granted without collateral is 7.5 lakhs
2. With collateral: 80% of i20 amount
3. Interest rates:
With collateral: its 10,5 %
But with some scheme discount of 0.5% so interest becomes-
10%(men)  9.5%(women)
4. Processing fees: 10000
5. Other fees 840(valuation) + 400 (advocate)
6. SBI Life insurance


Who should prefer SBI?

- Who have their personal savings and need loan of lesser amount
- SBI just sanctions 80% of i20, so one must have 20% of the remaining amount

Documents submitted as a part of financial poof:

Note: These documents are the alternative to the loan sanction letter

1. Bank conformance letter:
This letter you will get from the bank where you have your savings. It will show the bank balance in US dollars.
Prerequisite:
-Identity proof
-Request letter (account no)
Features:
Time-One day to process
Cost-Free of cost



Who should prefer Bank conformance letter?

- Those who have saving account
- Fix deposits
- Alternative to salary slip
- This is valid for both the applicant and the sponsor 
- If you have enough liquid assests then this statement itself would suffice or one would need the bank sanction letter or the solvency certificate issued from the BANK. And not from the CA.

OR/AND

2. Solvency certificate:
This is the bank letter which shows the financial capability of any person which is accepted by most of the universities and is also suggested as a part of document in VISA interview. It is kind of valuation of immobile as well as liquid assets. The solvency certificate on the request would also be issued in the dollars as well.
The prerequisites vary from bank to bank. 
For HDFC you need lots of documents: CA/valuation/college acceptance letter/index2
For SBI: valuation letter only




Which bank to take the solvency from?
If the property is named under your parents name check with the bank where your parents have their account.
Also before the solvency certificate you would need the valuation report from the valuator

Cost:
Valuation report-865Rs
CA certificate (for HDFC): 500Rs
Solvency certificate from SBI (for 2 copies) - 1300 approx

Advantages:
- We have the choice to take the loan from any bank after we get i20
- Its recommended to have in VISA interview so why not to have it now


Who should prefer solvency?

- Who are still not clear about the amount of loan might be because they have not yet finalized upon the colleges
- Who have the assets - gold/ property/ fixed deposits which could reflect their capability or in simple term total valuation on the assets
- To obtain the solvency there is absolutely no need to mortgage the property

My Tip:

Apply to credila first, get the loan sanctioned (unofficial one). Its free of cost!
Try searching for the other better options. At the end of day, if you are not satisfied with other options you always have the backup plan to pay the processing fees and get the  official sanction letter from credila. Official sanction letter would be given in one day itself so no time glitch. 


In next post would cover about the SBI loan procedure.

Thanks,
NK

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I also have an admit from UB and am currently doing exactly all that you mentioned :D Could not find anything much on the solvency certificate as an acceptable financial document for UB so this blog was really helpful!! Would like to get in touch with you.. pls let me know how to reach out to you in reply to this comment if you can. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, going through all your subsequent blogs on the next stages of pursuing MS is really insightful!! I am so glad I stumbled up on your blog! :D

    ReplyDelete